2.11.2010

Seivers Workshop

This week our friend Joyce Seivers came to Liberty Paper Mill and gave a book workshop to me and Claudia. Since we have begun studying Japanese paper, we created a Japanese stab binding with a hard case. This kind of stab binding has a cover that wraps around the entire text block. It is sewn with an 8-hole binding and I chose to try sewing it with antique surgical thread, which had surprisingly good tension and a nice look. We made the hard case for the book out of davey board wrapped with paper (Ahead of time, I printed Canson paper with a scan of a quilt- and cut down a vintage map for the liner). Also, I learned how to attach a bone clasp on cords that are embedded into the book board and are completely hidden by the paper. It was a great lesson and Joyce is an amazing teacher. I value every minute I spend with her because I learn and accomplish so much in her guidance. (As Claudia says "Joyce is bookbinding royalty." She's so right.)